Personal Information We Collect And Data Retention
Effective Date: The earlier of 2023-06-22 or user acknowledgment.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We start to collect Personal Information as soon as you start interacting with the Grindr Properties on the web, by downloading the app, liking us on social media, or contacting us directly. We may collect Personal Information directly from you, directly from your device, or from third-parties [LEARN MORE] . We have to collect some Personal Information from you in order to provide you with and operate our Properties; sometimes providing Personal Information is optional.
PERSONAL INFORMATION YOU ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE
While the following provides examples of the Personal Information that Grindr collects, note that not all Grindr Properties collect all of the data listed below.
- In order to use the Grindr Services, you are required to provide Personal Information (i.e., email or a third-party social log-in like Facebook or Google, phone number, and date of birth) for account registration and authentication and/or verification purposes. If you utilize a third-party social log-in, the third-party provides us with access to certain information that they have about you (e.g., display name and email address) for authentication and account creation purposes. We may collect government-issued identification, postal address, signature, and phone number to assist with account authentication processes (e.g., password changes, email address updates, underage ban appeals, and profile deletions when a user no longer has access to their Grindr account or the email address used to create it) and we may also collect email address and a photo of yourself (i.e., a "selfie") to verify impersonation reports.
PERSONAL INFORMATION YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO PROVIDE
- Profile Information. When you create a Grindr account, you choose to provide us Personal Information about yourself for your Grindr Profile. For example, you may voluntarily provide your Personal Information, such as your photos, display name, content in your "About Me" section, tags you may wish to include in the "My Tags" section, stats (including your age, height, weight, body type, position, ethnicity, relationship status, "My Tribes"), expectations (i.e., "I'm Looking For", "Meet At", "Accepts NSFW Pics"), identity (including Gender and Pronouns), self-reported health information (including HIV status, Last Tested Date, and vaccination status - see below for more information), social links (including Instagram username, Spotify top songs, Twitter handle, and Facebook username), and any other information that you choose to add to your profile on the Grindr Services (collectively "Profile Information"). As the Grindr Services are designed to allow users to connect and share information as a social networking platform, when you use the Grindr Services, your Grindr Profile and Profile Information are public, meaning other users of the Grindr Services can see your Grindr Profile, Profile Information, and other Personal Information (including Personal Information that could be considered "sensitive" in some jurisdictions and contexts, such as your health information - see below for more information) posted by you. For example, other users can search for you, search for your profile characteristics, see if you've viewed their profile, or see you listed as being within their vicinity. Users of the Grindr Services may be able to determine your identity based on what you share in your Grindr Profile as well as in chats. Do not include information in your Grindr Profile that you want to keep private. For example, if you do not want your HIV status or vaccination status to be known, you should not include that information in your Grindr Profile. You should carefully consider what Personal Information to include in your Grindr Profile, and you can review and change that information at any time by accessing the "Edit Profile" section of the Services.
- Note on "sensitive" Personal Information. In some jurisdictions and under some regulations, information that may reveal an individual's racial or ethnic origin or details on their health or sex life/sexual orientation, among other data, may be considered "sensitive" or "special category" Personal Information. You determine whether you provide such data within your profile. Such information may also be revealed to the Grindr Community and with users with whom you interact if you choose certain Tags, if you choose to disclose such information in your "About Me" section, or via private messages you send other users. You can review, change, or remove such information at any time by accessing the "Edit Profile" section of the Services. Grindr relies on your consent for the collection and processing of sensitive Personal Information, as indicated by your inclusion of this information in your Profile. [LEARN MORE]
- Note on health information, including HIV Status, Last Tested Date, and vaccination status. To better support the community's wellbeing, and at the recommendation of HIV prevention and health experts and the community of Grindr users, we give you the option of publishing certain self-reported health characteristics, such as your HIV status, Last Tested Date, and/or vaccination status, in your public Grindr profile. As mentioned above, such data may be considered "sensitive" in some jurisdictions and contexts. Grindr uses Last Tested Date to send you periodic reminders to get tested if you choose to opt in to receiving this reminder. If you choose to include this information in your profile, it will become public to other users of the Grindr Services. As a result, you should carefully consider whether you want to disclose your HIV status, Last Tested Date, and/or vaccination status. Please note that Grindr does not verify this health information. You can review,change, and/or remove your HIV status, Last Tested Date, and/or vaccination status information at any time by accessing the "Edit Profile" section of the Services.
- Feedback/Support-Related Information. If you provide us feedback or contact Grindr customer support, we collect your name and email address and possibly other Personal Information (e.g., IP address), as well as any other content that you send to us in order to reply and address any issue. If you contact customer support, we also collect and retain certain technical diagnostic data, such as your phone model.
- Social Features. The Grindr Services include features that permit interactions that you initiate between the Grindr Services and third-party websites or services, including third-party social networks (collectively "Social Features"). For example, you may include a link to your Instagram and/or Facebook accounts from within your Grindr Profile. If you use Social Features on the Grindr Services, both Grindr and the third-party services that operate those Social Features may have access to certain Personal Information about you and your use of both the Grindr Services and theirs. The Personal Information collected and stored by third-parties remains subject to those third-parties' privacy practices, including whether the third-parties continue to share Personal Information with us.
- Mailing List-Related Information. If we collect your email address and you opt into our mailing list, we may send you Grindr news, Grindr Properties information and updates, and third-party offers. You always have the option to unsubscribe through a link in the footer of these emails. We may still send you service oriented emails related to your account.
- Photos, Videos, and Audio. We may collect audio, electronic, visual, or similar information if you enable video or photo features in Grindr Services. If you upload a photo, video, create an Album, or send an audio message while using the Grindr Services, you will be required to permit Grindr to access your camera, photo gallery, and/or microphone in which case Grindr will have access to the photos and videos stored in your photo gallery. Grindr also offers the ability to send recorded videos or to engage in live audio and video chats. After you start a chat with another Grindr user, you can send recorded videos or participate in a live audio or video call with that user.
- Location and Distance Information. We may collect your precise location ("Location") to determine your distance from other users ("Distance Information"). The Grindr Services is designed to allow users to share Distance Information. Distance Information is public and indicates to other users of the Grindr Services the distance you are in feet or meters from them. Your Distance Information will be displayed in your profile in those users' search results should you elect to display your relative distance. Should you choose not to allow the Grindr Services to access your Location, certain features of the Grindr Services (such as displaying nearby user profiles or features that include Location Sharing) will not function properly. Note that Grindr Services users can use the "Explore" feature to search for other users in a geographic location outside of their immediate location. Sophisticated users who use the Grindr Services in an unauthorized manner, or other users who change their location while you remain in the same location, may use Distance Information to determine your exact location and may be able to determine your identity. You may choose to hide your Distance Information; however, the Grindr Services will continue to sort and display your profile based on your relative distance from other users. Accordingly, even if you choose to hide your Distance Information, others may nevertheless be able to determine your Location. You may revoke this permission and disable the location services on your device on an iPhone by going to Settings> Privacy> Location Services> Grindr and on an Android device by going to Settings> Location> Grindr> Permissions> Location; and on Grindr Web by going to your browser settings.
- Location Sharing in Chat. You can share your current Location with another user via a chat message through the Grindr Services. The Location you share is not updated once shared. You can revoke your consent to sharing this Location at any time by utilizing the "Unsend Location" button within the Services.
- Messages. When you send a message to other users using the Grindr Services (which could include content such as photos, location, audio, video, emojis, giphys, reactions, etc.), we may collect Personal Information that includes the content of the message. If you send messages, you will be providing the user who views your message (and Grindr) with your Personal Information. Don't send messages or share content that you wouldn't want someone to save or share as users may save content or copy it outside the Grindr Services. We store chat messages on our servers in accordance with our retention policy; however, chat messages may also be stored locally on devices. Therefore, if you choose to delete your account, messages you sent to another user may still be available on that user's device. Do not share your Account Credentials through messages, or any other Personal Information that you don't want other users to know about you.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE RECEIVE FROM YOUR DEVICE WHEN YOU USE THE GRINDR PROPERTIES
- User Activity. We collect certain Personal Information that is generated through your use of the Grindr Properties. This Personal Information includes, among other things, information about whose user profiles you have viewed, purchases through the Grindr Properties, how you've interacted with the Grindr Services, and how you communicate with other users.
- Hardware and Software Information. We collect certain hardware and software information about you and your device such as device make, device model, device IDs (i.e., Identifier for Vendor (IDFV) and Android ID), carrier, data connection type, browser type, operating system, IP address, domain name, date/time stamp for your visit, device/operating system orientation, app crashes, and device advertising identifiers (e.g., Google's GAID and Apple's IDFA which can be reset by going to your device's setting). All of the foregoing is collectively known as "Hardware and Software Information" which is generally collected via Software Development Kits ("SDKs") and Application Programming Interfaces ("APIs").
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE RECEIVE FROM THIRD-PARTIES
- Purchase Information from Third-Party Payment Processors. We use various third-party payment processors, including Google Play, Apple, and Stripe. When you choose to make a purchase through the Grindr Properties, you submit Personal Information such as your name, payment card information, billing information, address, telephone number, and e-mail address to one of our third-party payment processors. Grindr does not process payment card information directly; however, our third-party payment processors may provide certain information to us (e.g., your name, address, partial payment card number, and e-mail address).
- Third-Party Platform Information. If you utilize a third-party social log-in (e.g., Facebook or Google), the third-party provides us with access to certain information that they have about you for authentication and account creation purposes (e.g., display name and email address) which we use for the above mentioned purposes. We may also access information contained in tracking technology placed on your device by the third-party platform. Remember, when you elect to create a Grindr account via a third-party, you are also giving them Personal Information, so we recommend you read their privacy policies which control how they use your information and which may also provide additional data management tools you can use.
We retain your Personal Information for no longer than is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the information was collected or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or pursuant to Grindr Terms and Conditions of Service and/or Grindr Community Guidelines. Grindr generally retains data provided by users (such as account registration information, Profile Information and message content) and data generated from users (such as activities of users on the Services) for as long as an account is active - this helps us provide a seamless user experience and facilitate features (e.g., storage of chat messages on Grindr servers for cross-device use of Grindr profiles for users with active accounts).
If you decide to delete your account, your Personal Information will no longer be made available via the Services and will generally be deleted within 28 days, unless the data must be retained:
- To evidence decisions made to protect the safety of our users (e.g., if we ban an account, we keep some information to document the reasons for, and to maintain, the ban, including log-in information, photo, display name, reports against the user, and message content).
- To support information security, fraud prevention and anti-spam efforts, and to protect the overall safety and vital interests of our users (e.g., login and signup behavior for security purposes and interactions with our APIs to help in the prevention of fraud).
- To comply with our Legal Obligations (e.g., information related to purchase history to support tax and accounting purposes, to support a valid legal subpoena, or a request asking us to preserve or produce information).
- To support the ways we process Personal Information under certain legal bases (i.e., for our own legitimate interests, like a device identifier (i.e., IDFV and Android ID) for internal reporting and metrics for a period of up to two years). [LEARN MORE]
Server-side and Local Storage. Grindr is transitioning to the storage of chat messages on its servers to support the use of the Grindr Services across multiple platforms and devices, which will result in a longer retention in compliance with our data retention policy. However, chat messages, including images and recordings, may still be retained locally on user devices and may still be retained on the recipient's device even after the information is no longer available on Grindr's servers.
Data Sources. All of the Personal Information we collect about you is provided by you, the user. Grindr may also collect this information from other sources, including:
- Open ID Providers. Grindr partners with OpenID providers, such as Facebook, Google, Apple, and possibly others in the future, to allow users an option to create and authenticate their Grindr account through those services. In some cases, as part of the account linking process with the OpenID partner, we may receive information about you from those partners. Please consult that partner's instructions on how to remove account access from Grindr.
- Device. There may be information that Grindr collects from the Mobile OS (Operating System) or web browser (e.g., your location). This collection usually first requires your consent for our Properties to do so.
- Third-Party Apps. Third-party applications that Grindr partners with to help facilitate our Properties (e.g., Google, Apple, Braze, Appsflyer, ZenDesk, etc.).