How We Share Personal Information
Effective Date: The earlier of 2023-06-22 or user acknowledgment.
Depending upon your use of the Grindr Properties, Grindr shares your Personal Information with others in the following ways:
- The Grindr Community. Grindr enables you to share your Profile Information, Distance Information (i.e., how far you are away in feet or meters), Location (i.e., your precise location), message information, and other activity on the Services with users who are part of the Grindr Community.
- Third-Party Partners. Grindr shares Personal Information with a number of third-party partners to bring you the Grindr Properties, as described below [LEARN MORE]. For the avoidance of doubt, Grindr only shares HIV status, Last Tested Date, and vaccination status with necessary Service Providers such as companies that host data on our behalf (i.e., Amazon Web Services), help in processing data access requests you initiate (i.e., PartnerHero), or that send testing reminders (i.e., sharing of Last Tested Date with Braze) within the Services - we do not share this information with any advertising companies. We share your Personal Information with third-party partners in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We share your Personal Information with Service Providers that provide many of the elements necessary to host, manage, and provide you with the Grindr Services and Properties, conduct quality assurance testing, monitor activity on the Grindr Properties, provide technical support, and/or to provide other services to Grindr such as perform Grindr Service-related advertisements on third-party platforms. We also may share your Personal Information with machine-learning partners to enhance security and to personalize your experience with the Grindr Services, which includes the use of automated decision-making, and with analytics partners that support our ability to analyze how our users interact with the Grindr Properties, allowing us to continuously improve our offerings. Certain third-party partners may also collect information directly from you as described in this Policy (e.g., IDFA/IDFV, device information, etc.) through tracking technologies such as cookies or SDKs. These partners are aware that such data is being transmitted from Grindr. The privacy policies of these third-party partners apply to their collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information.
- Other Partners. We engage with several Other Partners that support the Grindr Properties but that you directly access and provide Personal Information to, like Social Media partners for authentication and/or account linking.
- Business Transactions. If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or assets, that company will possess the Personal Information collected by us and will assume the rights and obligations regarding your Personal Information as described in this Policy.
- Legal Obligations. For example, Grindr may preserve or disclose Personal Information in response to a lawful legal request, including: subpoenas, warrants, or court orders; in connection with any legal process; to comply with relevant laws; to establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims; if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies; or as otherwise required by law.
EEA/UK Data Transfers. Grindr is a U.S.-based company with no EEA/EU/UK establishments at this time. By using the Grindr Properties, you are transmitting information to Grindr in the United States and its service providers (in the United States and third countries). If you are a resident of another country, note that the United States and other third countries may not afford the same privacy protections as your country of residence. We will take steps to ensure that transfers of Personal Information are in accordance with applicable law, carefully managed to protect your rights, and limited to countries which are recognized as providing an adequate level of legal protection (or where we can be satisfied that alternative arrangements are in place to protect your rights). To this end:
- We will ensure that transfers within Grindr and its affiliates are covered by an agreement which contractually obliges each member to ensure that Personal Information receives an adequate and consistent level of protection wherever its transferred within the Grindr affiliates;
- Where we transfer your Personal Information outside Grindr or to third-parties who help provide the Grindr Properties, we will obtain contractual commitments from them to protect your Personal Information (for certain information on data transfer locations, please visit the various privacy policies of Grindr's third parties linked in the Third Parties section. [LEARN MORE] );
- Where we receive requests for information from law enforcement or regulators, we will carefully validate these requests before Personal Information is disclosed.