Cookies and Other Tech
Effective Date: The earlier of 2023-06-22 or user acknowledgment.
- First-party and third-party cookies. Grindr websites utilize first-party and third-party cookies. First-party cookies are cookies placed on your device directly by us (e.g., to adapt our website to your browser's language preferences and to better understand your use of the Grindr Properties). Third-party cookies are placed on your device by our partners and service providers (e.g., to gather performance data or to enable you to log on using a third-party social media platform).
- Session and persistent cookies. All cookies have an expiration date. There are session cookies and persistent cookies. We use session cookies for many reasons, including for security purposes and to learn more about your use of the Properties so we can continue to ensure the Properties are effective and efficient. We typically use persistent cookies to help expedite your use of the Properties and for performance evaluation purposes.
- SDKs/APIs. Software development kits ("SDKs") are pieces of code included within apps which function like cookies and web beacons. Application Programming Interfaces ("APIs") are interfaces that allow our software to interact with other software. For example, we may use SDKs and APIs to assist in delivering ads to users, measure how users navigate our Properties, and support crash reporting. Grindr has implemented a number of controls, including checklists, audits, and security measures to ensure SDKs and APIs are implemented securely.
- Artificial Intelligence. Your safety and security are important to us. As such, we use automated decision-making as a part of our platform moderation efforts (e.g., removing spammers and general platform safety) including to assist in our efforts to prevent and respond to illegal, malicious, and unauthorized activity. Grindr's moderation team has access to all information you share within the Services. This may result in the removal of content that you post or share. If you are notified that your account has been banned and you believe this is an error, click here for more information on ban reasons and fill out a ban appeal form.
- Other tracking technologies besides cookies. Grindr also utilizes tracking technologies such as web beacons (also known as pixel tags or clear gifs), and tracking URLs for similar purposes as cookies. Web beacons are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when a person visits our Properties. Tracking URLs are custom-generated links that help us understand where the traffic to our web pages comes from.
- Third-Party Tracking. Our advertisers and certain service providers also use their own cookies or other tracking technologies (such as SDKs) which may collect information about you within the Grindr Properties. We prohibit third-party ad / marketing partners from tracking or monitoring Profile Information (e.g., HIV status, Last Tested date, vaccination status, Tribe, etc.). They will, however, receive the advertising ID associated with your device and know that the ID was identified on Grindr.
- To collect statistical data on our users' interactions with the Grindr Properties;
- To conduct essential functions, such as identifying authentic web traffic and blocking banned accounts / unauthorized access to the Properties;
- To integrate with third-party social media platforms if you so choose;
- To recognize your behaviors and activities over time across multiple websites or other platforms; and
- To serve you with interest-based or targeted advertising on other websites.
HOW CAN YOU CONTROL COOKIES?
There are several options available for you to use in order for you to manage cookies and tracking technologies while using the Grindr Properties.
- Grindr's Consent Management Platform. You may adjust the information sharing controls anytime via the Consent Preference Center within the Services. For non-EU/UK users, this includes opting-out of behavioral advertising or other non-essential tracking technologies. We provide you with these controls on the Grindr Services and Grindr's websites and your preferences on each platform may be maintained separately (with the exception of the Grindr Services).
- General Opt-Out. Most web browsers accept cookies automatically. You may also be able to configure your browser settings to use the web-accessible Grindr Properties without some cookie functionality. You can delete cookies manually or set your browser to automatically delete cookies on a predetermined schedule.
You may also be able to reset device identifiers through settings on your mobile device. The procedure for managing device identifiers (e.g., IDFA and GAID) is different for each device. You can check the specific steps in the help or settings menu of your particular device.